History and Mission
The St. John the Evangelist Catholic School community educates students for academic success and forms disciples of Christ for eternal life.
Since 1958, St. John Catholic the Evangelist School has been providing an enriching academic and spiritual foundation for generations of area children. The Catholic Sisters of the Order of Resurrection opened the doors of the first Catholic School in Bay County in our quiet residential neighborhood, two blocks from historic St. Andrews and the beautiful St. Andrews Bay. The Sisters laid the foundation for a comprehensive educational program that includes authentic school and real-life experiences; recognition of individual talents; the acquisition of essential skills, concepts and knowledge; and a challenging curriculum that focuses on the physical, social, and emotional needs of the students.
Today, St. John has a growing enrollment and accepts students in grades Pre-K3 through grade 8. Our small classroom sizes ensure safe, personalized, learning environments with opportunities for enrichment. Our campus provides an art room, media center, technology lab, science lab, S.T.R.E.A.M lab, music and band room. Technology is integrated throughout the school and curriculum.
The school’s 60th Anniversary was celebrated in 2018.
In October 2018, Bay County was devastated by Hurricane Michael. Our campus was severely damaged due to wind and water intrusion. For the remainder of the 2018-2019 school year, we had to relocate to St. Bernadette Parish in Panama City Beach. We will be returning to our original location in August 2019 in a fully renovated campus with new and improved facilities. One positive outcome of the hurricane was our purchase of a 2018 school bus, which will make transportation easier for some of our families.
Our graduates are successful in high school honors and AP programs, earn college scholarships, and enter the world ready to serve and make a difference thanks to the inspiration and dedication of the Sisters.